Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary - Job Details
Posted: Jan 30, 2024
Expires: Mar 31, 2024
The Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary (RVWS) is a charity located near North Gower, Ontario. RVWS rehabilitates about 1,000 injured, sick or orphaned wild mammals and reptiles annually with the goal of returning them to the wild. RVWS also provides advice to the public on co-existing peacefully with wildlife, and preventing and solving wildlife problems.
Animal enclosure construction and maintenance
- builds and maintains wood- and metal-framed outdoor animal enclosures and nesting boxes
- builds and maintains climbing structures and other environment enrichment in outdoor enclosures
- assists with enclosure and cage cleaning and maintenance
Building repairs and maintenance
- maintains and repairs tools and equipment
- performs building maintenance and repairs, such as insulating, drywalling, painting, shelving, repairing furniture, minor plumbing
- assists with planned projects (e.g. replacing cupboards and countertops in two kitchens, installing metal wall cladding in two animal care rooms)
- maintains orderly grounds, including grass cutting, edging and tree trimming
- makes recommendations for repairs and purchases
- obtains estimates for building and construction supplies and services
- maintains records of supplies, needed repairs and scheduled maintenance procedures
- performs other related duties as required
This job is made possible under the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible under the program, youth must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
International students are not eligible participants.
- valid driver's license and access to a vehicle (there is no public transit to our facility in North Gower)
- enrollment in a post-secondary institution in carpentry, construction, facilities technician or related trades; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- experience and proficiency in the use of hand and power tools, and lawn maintenance equipment
- good verbal and written English communications skills
- ability to apply common sense understanding and judgement to carry out written and oral instructions, identify and carry out maintenance needs, and apply safety standards
- ability to meet physical demands of the job, such as heavy lifting
- ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- strong planning, organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
- CSA/UL approved construction boots required
- chainsaw certification an asset
Term and Compensation
This is a 35 hr/wk position for 8-16 weeks, beginning as early as April 22. Wages are $18.00/hr. This is an on-site position at the wildlife centre in North Gower.
To apply, send your cover letter, resume (including your availability and eligibility under the Canada Summer Jobs program), and two references by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For assistance with job search and application preparation, unemployed individuals are invited to register with CSE Consulting. For more information about the benefits of registering with CSE, please contact us in Kemptville at 613-258-6576 or in Prescott at 613-925-0222.