Waste Management - Job Details
Posted: Aug 04, 2023
Expires: Sep 30, 2023
Apply - DRIVER APPRENTICE – G TO D PROGRAM - WM Careers (oraclecloud.com)
DRIVER APPRENTICE – G TO D PROGRAM
At Waste Management, we know that it can be challenging to obtain your Commercial Driver’s License! We recognize the time commitment and the costs associated with schooling to get your D license! That’s why WM developed a program for Apprentice Drivers! This program will take you from a G to a D license - providing you with the training, and work experience as well as reimbursing you for your Driver’s School Tuition. Everything you need to grow into a successful and skilled Commercial Driver!
In tandem with a seasoned WM Driver and/or WM Driver Trainer, after receiving their Commercial Driving Permit, the Driver Apprentice will complete the required training to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle providing service to customers in their respective Line of Business (LOB). The Driver Apprentice will continue in this role until they complete all training requirements.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BE CONSIDERED?
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Registration within 3 months of initial hire with a recognized local driving school to obtain a DZ license.
- Completion of DZ Driver Training within 12 months of the initial hire date.
- Legally eligible to work in Canada with a valid S.I.N
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Successfully complete pre-employment drug screen and medical
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN THE PROGRAM:
- $22.36 / hour
- WM will cover the cost of a driving course from a recognized driving school to a maximum of $2600.00
*If the employee leaves the Company's employ prior to completing one year of service, after obtaining their DZ License, they will be responsible for full repayment of the driving course. The union and the employee also agree that failing to reach a reimbursement agreement, the Company can deduct from the employee’s last pay cheque the full reimbursement of the driving course.
THE DAY-TO-DAY While in training, the following skills will be taught, and the trainee must be able to demonstrate proficiency prior to moving to the next driver level:
- Performs as an on-route Helper while obtaining their Commercial Driving Permit and completing the training to be a WM Driver.
- After obtaining their Commercial Driving Permit, partner with a WM Driver and/or WM Driver Trainer to train on the proper way to operate a commercial refuse/recycling vehicle.
- Operates vehicle in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules, Occupational and Safety Health and Ministry of Transportation requirements as well as all local, state and federal laws.
- Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle and documents checks utilizing the standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report).
- Immediately reports all unsafe situations or service-related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings as required by Waste Management or directed by the Route Manager.
- Works closely with Route Manager to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
- Notifies Route Manager of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
- Notifies Route Manager or Dispatch of service interruptions including closed or impassable streets or alleyways, receptacles too heavy to service or potential safety hazards.
- Communicates customer requests to Dispatch or Route Manager.
- Completely dumps all receptacles and leaves the customer’s location clean and free of debris.
- Follows route assignments as directed and completes end-of-day documentation and check-out process.
- Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch and assists other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
WM cares about our Driver’s safety and shows it by demanding all our employees' solid safety practices. Pride, safety, training, growth, opportunity, great benefits, and rewards – check us out, we may be the company for you!
Submit your application now for this unique opportunity with Waste management.
WM (WM.com) is North America’s largest comprehensive waste management environmental solutions provider. Previously known as Waste Management and based in Houston, Texas, WM is driven by commitments to put people first and achieve success with integrity. The company, through its subsidiaries, provides collection, recycling and disposal services to millions of residential, commercial, industrial and municipal customers throughout the U.S. and Canada. With innovative infrastructure and capabilities in recycling, organics and renewable energy, WM provides environmental solutions to and collaborates with its customers in helping them achieve their sustainability goals. WM has the largest disposal network and collection fleet in North America, is the largest recycler of post-consumer materials and is the leader in beneficial reuse of landfill gas, with a growing network of renewable natural gas plants and the most gas-to-electricity plants in North America. WM’s fleet includes nearly 11,000 natural gas trucks – the largest heavy-duty natural gas truck fleet of its kind in North America – where more than half are fueled by renewable natural gas. To learn more about WM and the company’s sustainability progress and solutions, visit Sustainability.WM.com.
ABOUT THE TEAM
When you drive for WM, you join a team of the best drivers in the nation - professional, well trained, and skilled. Our drivers work hard and drive safe. They are rewarded with competitive pay, great benefits, opportunity for growth, and they are home at night and on the weekends.
Our drivers are part of the fabric of the communities they serve. We show up on time, help keep your communities clean and watch out for the residents. Billy is just one of our many drivers going above and beyond for our customers. Video – WM Driver: Billy Shelby
For assistance with job search and application preparation, unemployed individuals are invited to register with CSE Consulting. For more information about the benefits of registering with CSE, please contact us in Kemptville at 613-258-6576 or in Prescott at 613-925-0222.