Newterra - Job Details
Posted: Nov 13, 2020
Expires: Dec 14, 2020
Netwerra is looking for a Systems Programmer!
Newterra is a leading provider of modular water, wastewater and groundwater treatment solutions to the resource, power generation, industrial, private development and municipal markets. With its suite of patented technologies and capabilities that include design, engineering and manufacturing in its own facilities, Newterra maintains control over the high quality and on-time delivery of its systems. Operations in Canada, United States, and Germany allow Newterra to address the needs of clients on a global basis. In addition to being selected as a Cleantech Top 100 Company in 2013 and 2015, Newterra has also achieved Platinum status as a distinguished recipient of Deloitte’s 50 Best Managed Companies Award for the past eight consecutive years. For more information, visit www.newterra.com.
Newterra is an equal-opportunity employer dedicated to attracting talented people who share these goals and ideals. If you thrive in an environment that rewards rolling up your sleeves, thinking beyond the status quo, and doing what it takes to deliver innovative solutions, we’d like to talk to you.
Summary of Position
The System Programmer is a member of Newterra’s multi-disciplined Engineering Team. Together the team prepares the design packages for custom wastewater/water treatment solutions. The design package is used for customer review and approval and then for system fabrication and testing.
The System Programmer is responsible for all aspects of the controls system for Newterra water and wastewater treatment plants. They are responsible for developing the PLC, HMI and other device programs in accordance with the engineering design package and customer requirements. In addition to program development they will be part of system quoting, system engineering, factory acceptance testing, field startup and technical support.
The System Programmer will be the main point of contact for anything related to the control system, new or legacy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- System Quoting: Support applications engineers in quoting hardware and labour hours by reviewing quote packages.
- System Engineering: Develop system PLC and HMI programs (other devices as needed) using the appropriate IDE and working from the engineered drawings (P&ID, Electrical Schematics and Control Narrative). Coordinate with engineering group and customer for any integration that may be required.
- Factory Acceptance Testing: Configure controls hardware, fill out documentation and support testing as needed.
- Field Start-up: Support field technicians remotely as needed. Some potential for travel to site. Work with customer integrations team as needed.
- Technical Support: Answer both internal and external questions in support of our customers and systems. Make system updates to new and legacy systems on an as needed basis.
- Administrative: Attend project meetings, work to improve newterra processes, record project work hours.
- Ensure programming of systems meets project budget and timelines.
- Responsible for performing duties in a safe manner and promoting safety to others in accordance with Newterra’s safety policies and procedures. This includes reporting all safety concerns, near-misses and incidents to their Manager.
Experience and Skills Required
- College diploma in Instrumentation and Controls Technologist or equivalent in experience.
- Strong aptitude for soft computer skills (IT, troubleshooting & problem solving).
- Excellent working knowledge of some or all of the following:
- Allen-Bradley StudioLogix & Connected Components
- Schneider SoMachine (EcoStruxure ME)
- Automation Direct DirectSoft 5 and C-More
- Hart Programming
- Control system fieldbuses (ModbusTCP/IP, EthernetIP, Modbus Serial)
- Instrumentation configuration
- VFD Configuration and Integration
- Understanding of low voltage electrical systems 24VDC to 750VAC. Electrical troubleshooting skills are an asset.
- Understanding of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams.
- Understanding of pumps, blowers, piping systems etc.
- Valid passport and driver’s license.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve a common goal.
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Computer skills in all Microsoft Office products.
- Problem-solving skills.
**Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada or United States as applicable**
If you’re interested in applying, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org including the position title in the subject line.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you require accommodation due to a disability at any time during the recruitment and/or assessment process, please contact Human Resources and we will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate your request.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those under consideration.
For assistance with job search and application preparation, unemployed individuals are invited to register with CSE Consulting. For more information about the benefits of registering with CSE, please contact us in Kemptville at 613-258-6576 or in Prescott at 613-925-0222.