Merrick Preparatory School - Job Details
Posted: Feb 07, 2020
Expires: Mar 07, 2020
If you are looking for a fun and enjoyable work environment in a high school setting, with teens
from around the world in a beautiful historic building in Merrickville, then this job is for you!
Merrick Preparatory School is looking for a part-time, 24 hours per week, Housekeeper to provide
janitorial services keeping the school clean and hygienically safe.
Under the supervision of the Headmaster, the Housekeeper provides exemplary cleaning services,
maintaining the inside and outside of all buildings in a clean, safe and hospitable manner. The
Housekeeper keeps the bathrooms, floors, windows, surfaces, furnishings, facilities, equipment and
building clean, tidy and a general outstanding appearance.
DUTIES AND TASKS: PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
The following outlines the primary tasks of the Housekeeper. This is not an exhaustive list and
other duties may be required in order to keep the facility clean, safe and looking at its best.
1. Clean, wash, dust all tables, desks, walls, doors, baseboards, chair rails, windows (inside
and out), counter tops, cabinets, white boards in the buildings. This includes but is not limited
to classrooms, hallways, bathrooms, dining area, snack bar, dorm rooms, main foyer, stairwells,
common spaces, workspaces, storage spaces, recreational spaces.
2. Clean, sweep, vacuum, mop, wash and polish all floors in all buildings and all rooms.
3. Clean, wash and disinfect facilities, including but not limited to sinks, toilets, showers,
door handles, desks.
4. Resupply hand soap in common bathrooms, toilet paper in dorm room bathrooms, and hand
sanitizer in all dispensers.
5. Maintain inventory of supplies and inform Head of Kitchen to re-order when in need of
re-supply. These include, but are not limited to, toilet paper, paper towel, hand soap, hand
sanitizer, cleaning supplies, materials and chemicals, laundry soap and any other materials
required for the job.
6. Ensure all cleaning supplies are safely used and stored, according to proper Material Safety
Data Sheet standards and best practice. Never leave doors to supplies, chemicals and cleaners
unlocked or unsupervised. Ensure Material Safety Data Sheets are produced for each cleaning
7. Clean spills, broken glass, garbage and other debris or related matter that may be located in
any room in any building.
8. Take note of any damage to the buildings, equipment, rooms and report to maintenance. Record
in maintenance binder.
9. Steam-clean carpets as required. Front hallway and high traffic areas twice per semester
(four times per year, or more as required), all other areas 1-2 times per year based on need.
10. Perform weekly laundry service for student bedding for summer camp only in July.
11. Empty trash cans in dorm rooms and offices.
12. Clean trash cans as required.
13. Clean dorm bathroom “product bins” as required.
14. Additional related duties may be assigned.
1. Secondary school diploma (required).
2. WHMIS Training and Certification (required- can acquire once hired).
3. Occupational Health and Safety Training and Certification (required – can acquire once hired).
4. Vulnerable Sector – Police Record Check (required – can acquire once hired).
Cleaning and laundry experience. Experience working with standard cleaning equipment and related
chemicals and supplies. Experience and comfort working around teens and in a school community
Cleaning knowledge and skills. Understanding of good hygiene and sterilization to prevent spread of
germs and illness. Good interpersonal skills. Comfort and skills working with teenagers from
around the world. Sensitively to different cultures and discreet mannerisms with sensitivity to
teenagers, different cultures and utmost respect to differences.
Established in 2012, Merrick Preparatory School is an international day and boarding school with a
maximum enrolment of 60 boarding students and 20 day students. We enroll students into one of three
streams: i) grade 9, 10, 11 and 12 credits towards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD); ii)
English as a Second Language (ESL) Foundation Program, and; iii) University Qualification Year
(UQY). Our average class size is 10 students and our graduates maintain a 100% university placement
rate to their first-choice university. In addition, we offer recreational co-curricular activities
and ‘boutique’ residential living with queen size beds and en suite bathrooms. Located in a
heritage building in Merrickville, Ontario, honoured as Canada’s most beautiful village, we are 45
minutes from Ottawa and are adjacent to the Rideau River and Canal system, a UNESCO World Heritage
Only those requested to attend an interview will be contacted. Start Date: As soon as possible
Compensation: Minimum wage. We provide breakfast and lunch.
Please Submit your resume and cover letter to Kevin Farrell: firstname.lastname@example.org
For assistance with job search and application preparation, unemployed individuals are invited to register with CSE Consulting. For more information about the benefits of registering with CSE, please contact us in Kemptville at 613-258-6576 or in Prescott at 613-925-0222.