Osgoode Foodland - Job Details
Posted: Nov 14, 2019
Expires: Dec 14, 2019
The Grocery Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the department including sales/profitability, productivity and its general appearance. The Grocery department includes frozen groceries and dairy. He/she supervises Grocery department employees, deals with customers and with sales representatives from various companies.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Contributes to the achievement of sales and profit objectives by executing merchandising plans including plan-o-grams, cross merchandising programs, displays, and implementing in-store merchandising. Oversees merchandising of end displays, seasonal displays and cross-merchandising with the Deli, Produce and Meat Departments.
- Manages department staff by hiring, providing work direction, reviewing performance and providing feedback, implementing training and development programs, developing succession planning, conducting disciplinary procedures, and by scheduling.
- Manages product inventory and shrinkage by supervising inventory counts and product ordering, monitoring deliveries, and processing store transfers. Reviews invoices and addresses discrepancies, processes credits, manages price reductions, and develops shrink action plan.
- Performs administrative duties such as signing time statements for payroll, reviewing budgets, developing work schedules, and producing sales, purchase and manager’s reports.
- Ensures customer service standards by managing product quality, maintaining department appearance, greeting customers, and responding to their needs, concerns, inquiries, as well as resolving issues/complaints.
- Maintains appearance of the department and ensures compliance with government legislation (Food Safety and Health and Safety) by following safe handling procedures and department audits.
- Assists with store operations by performing Store Manager duties on a relief basis.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- High school diploma plus two (2) years experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of grocery products, merchandising, wage control, inventory control and gross profit
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and Foodland policies and practices
- Food Safety certified
Skills & Abilities
- Good customer service skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to provide leadership including hiring and training
- Strong attention to detail, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast paced environment
- Basic computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office)
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job
Other Job Requirements
- Lifting weights of 5 – 20 kilograms (e.g., cases of water, frozen foods, juice)
- Standing and walking for long periods of time while working in the grocery aisles
- Some reaching and bending while stocking shelves and putting up displays
- Using equipment including box cutters, dollies, pump jacks for moving product in receiving and storage areas
- Exposure to seasonal heat and cold and dust while working in receiving area
Resumes can be forwarded to: Rick Hovencamp Rick.email@example.com
For assistance with job search and application preparation, unemployed individuals are invited to register with CSE Consulting. For more information about the benefits of registering with CSE, please contact us in Kemptville at 613-258-6576 or in Prescott at 613-925-0222.