United Counties of Leeds and Grenville - Job Details
Posted: Jun 03, 2021
Expires: Jun 16, 2021
Community and Social Services Division
Department: Social Housing
Permanent Part-Time, 10 hrs/wk
Start Date: June 2021
Salary (2020 Grid 3): $21.71 – $25.80/hr
Please note: This position is part of the OPSEU Local 494 bargaining unit
Reporting directly to the Maintenance Supervisor and indirectly to the Social Housing Manager and Director, Community and Social Services, the Custodian will be responsible for maintaining the properties of the Social Housing Department in a good state of repair.
- Minimum Grade 12 education or combination of experience and education.
- Minimum two years’ experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Be self-sufficient, able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and within a team-delivered organizational model.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity and responsiveness to the needs of the community.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends depending upon the needs of the community.
- Ability to participate in the after-hours, on-call program as scheduled.
- The possession and maintenance of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
- Perform the responsibilities of the position within the legislative and regulatory standards set out in the applicable provincial and municipal acts. Perform the responsibilities of the position consistent with the operational policies of the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville.
- Responsible for keeping all public areas within and around the buildings clean and free of hazards.
- Responsible for maintaining the building in a good state of repair. Where repairs or maintenance work is beyond the technical capabilities of the Custodian, defects must be reported immediately to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Responsible for preparing units for new Tenants and performing minor repairs such as, but not limited to, repairing of leaky faucets and clearing blocked drains, replacing broken windows, changing of light bulbs, replacing light switch plates, receptacle cover plates, painting, washing and painting walls, etc.
- Responsible for the upkeep of the grounds, trees and flower beds, including cutting, fertilizing and watering lawns, pruning of shrubs and trees and the weeding of flower beds, snow removal and de-icing of exits/sidewalks/crawlspace entry in the winter months.
- Responsible for keeping all tools and equipment placed in their charge in good working order. Working knowledge of floor polisher, lawn tractor, snow blower, garbage compactor, entry systems, fire panels, electrical panels, and elevators/lifts. Report defective and missing equipment/supplies to Maintenance Supervisor.
- Responsible for the general security of the building and for all keys left in their charge.
- Responsible for maintaining all firefighting equipment in the building as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor. Responsible for duties as outlined in the Fire Plan.
- Responsible for cleaning, changing locks and minor repairs to units on tenant move out and/or as required.
- Ability to perform tasks involving outside/inside labour which includes lifting a minimum of 50 lbs., cleaning, snow shovelling, garbage removal, supply delivery and moving appliances.
- Working knowledge of computer systems such as; Microsoft Outlook (emails, sending/opening attachments/pictures/voice messages), Microsoft Excel (entering data and sending document), Microsoft Work (printing documents and preparing letters).
- Maintains the building checklists and the fire/snow and solar and on call log books.
- Assist, as requested and/or required, in various unit inspections (i.e. move-in, annual, etc.) and other inspections (i.e. air conditioner, door closures, etc.).
- Participate in the on after-hours and snow removal schedule as assigned. Provide backup coverage for staff as requested.
- Ensure divisional policies, procedures and best practices are adhered to. Ensure the highest level of professional standards are met and maintained. Ability to deal effectively in difficult situations.
- The United Counties’ of Leeds and Grenville regards its employees as the most valuable asset in the organization. All managers are responsible and accountable for ensuring that health and safety standards are incorporated into all aspects of our business. Furthermore, that facilities and resources are made available to ensure the successful execution of all required Health and Safety legislation as well as corporate policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Be knowledgeable and ensure compliance with the Residential Tenancies Act, Personal Protective Equipment, WHMIS, First Aid, and handling/procedures for dealing with hazardous materials.
- Maintain a high level of respect of confidentiality for the organization, as per the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
- As set out in the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville’s Peacetime Emergency Plan, perform duties upon the declaration of a peacetime State of Emergency.
- Other related duties may be assigned, as requested and required.
The above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be considered as all inclusive.
Applications should be marked “Competition #CSS-20-076 (Custodian, PPT)” and submitted online by 4:00 p.m. on/before Wednesday, June 16, 2021 to: https://careers.leedsgrenville.com.
Applicant information is collected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), and will only be used for candidate selection.
The United Counties of Leeds and Grenville is committed to providing a recruitment and selection process that is both inclusive and free from barriers. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request, and will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Applicants are required, in advance, to make any accommodation request know to Human Resources by contacting the department at 1-800-770-2170 extension 2308 or TTY 1-800-539-8685. Human Resources will strive to provide reasonable and appropriate accommodation for all applicants, during the recruitment and selection process, which will ensure the process is conducted in a fair and equitable manner.
For assistance with job search and application preparation, unemployed individuals are invited to register with CSE Consulting. For more information about the benefits of registering with CSE, please contact us in Kemptville at 613-258-6576 or in Prescott at 613-925-0222.