Merrick Preparatory School - Job Details
Posted: Feb 18, 2020
Expires: Mar 21, 2020
Part-Time Residential Life Supervisor
Are you looking for an exciting and rewarding career where you can make a difference in the lives of high school students? Merrick Preparatory School is seeking a part-time Residential Life Supervisor for evenings and weekends to provide guidance, encouragement and care to our international students, as well as a lot of fun!
The Residential Life Supervisor demonstrates exemplary leadership in the residential and social services that Merrick Preparatory School provides to its students, and; plays a critical role in the development, design and delivery of residential life curriculum. The successful candidate will possess excellent communication and listening skills; as well as an exemplary ability to exercise fair and ethical judgment. They must display a sensitivity to other cultures; and have superior skills in motivating and inspiring teenagers into action. Residential Life Supervisors must have the ability to manage a highly diverse group of students, not only culturally, but in personality as well. Sound judgment and decision-making skills with regards to managing and leading teenager’s on-site and particularly during off-site excursions is required.
• Manages the day-to-day residential life and student affairs programs at Merrick Preparatory School, including dorm supervision; transportation; may be required to communicate with parents/agents; evening and weekend activities and duties; promotes, encourages and creates opportunities for community service; student discipline.
• Ensures a physically and emotionally safe environment for students; addresses and resolves conflicts with students, including mediating and facilitating disputes and misunderstandings; and drawing up Behaviourial Contracts as required.
• Supervises students in a variety of environments both on and off campus.
• Evaluates and reports on students' behaviour.
• Provides feedback to staff and possibly parents on students' social progress.
• Participates in ongoing professional development and administrative meetings.
• Acts as a support to students on social, personal, career, and academic matters.
• Participates in the co-curricular life of the school (recreational sports and activities, trips, etc.).
• Lead and execute, with the Residential Life Supervisor, emergency and fire evacuation procedures.
• Respond to emails within 24 hours and maintain copies for future reference.
• Additional related duties may be assigned.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
• University degree or college diploma, ideally in education, psychology, physical education, kinesiology, sport psychology or related field.
• First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Defibrillation Certificate, (required).
• Valid and clean driver’s license, (required).
• Successful completion of WHMIS and Occupational Health and Safety on-line course (required).
• Valid Royal Life Saving certification (preferred).
• Ontario Teaching Certificate and English as a second language training (preferred).
• Superior client service; ability to work with teenagers and staff and promote healthy living.
• Supports student involvement in curricular and/or co-curricular activities.
• Adaptability and flexibility to meet the needs of our diverse clientele.
• A willingness and interest in working with diverse populations.
• Superior organizational, time management and detail-oriented skills to ensure a safe, organized, fun and productive learning program for our students.
• Work with teenagers in a school, residential or camp setting is required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with teenagers
Established in 2012, Merrick Preparatory School is an international day and boarding school with a maximum enrolment of 60 boarding students and 20 day students. We enroll students into one of three streams: i) grade 9, 10, 11 and 12 credits towards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD); ii) English as a Second Language (ESL) Foundation Program, and; iii) University Qualification Year (UQY). Our average class size is 10 students and our graduates maintain a 100% university placement rate to their first-choice university. In addition, we offer recreational co-curricular activities and ‘boutique’ residential living with queen size beds and ensuite bathrooms. Located in a heritage building in Merrickville, Ontario, honoured as Canada’s most beautiful village, we are 45 minutes from Ottawa and are adjacent to the Rideau River and Canal system, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Only those requested to attend an interview will be contacted.
Start Date: As soon as possible
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For assistance with job search and application preparation, unemployed individuals are invited to register with CSE Consulting. For more information about the benefits of registering with CSE, please contact us in Kemptville at 613-258-6576 or in Prescott at 613-925-0222.